New Life Church, Inc.
The inception of the New Life Church was through a conference meeting of churches in the community held at the Mount Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Church on July 12, 1993 - July 15, 1993. After the conference, the speaker for the week
(Bishop Nathaniel Holcomb of Copperas Cove, Texas), concluded his instructions, Reverend Roderick Mitchell received directions from the Lord on July 19 - 23, 1993 that the New Life Church would be formed in Cleveland, Mississippi. After much prayer, Reverend Mitchell began meeting and sharing the Word of God with a small group of (15) people in reference to the vision of the New Life Church. These fifteen (15) people agreed to receive Reverend Roderick Mitchell as their Pastor to lead them in the ways of God as a church.
- On January 19, 1994, the church began corporate prayer in the conference room of the Comfort Inn in Cleveland, Mississippi. Bible study and prayer continued in the worship facility of The Grace New Testament Church opened their doors to our church for two Thursday in February and there we met the last two weeks in that month.
- On March 6, 1994 the New Life Church was birth and held its first Sunday Morning and Evening Services. We acquired the building at 220 North Pearman Avenue for our place of worship. We had fifteen members on that day. Our services were scheduled for every Sunday Morning at 9:00 a.m., Sunday Evening at 6:30 p.m., Thursday Evening (Bible Class) at 6:30 p.m., and Friday Evening (Intercessary Prayer) at 6:30 p.m. The membership grew from 15 to 67 in six months.
The Charter members of the New Life Church were: Reverend Roderick Mitchell, as Pastor, his wife Mary B. Mitchell as the Minister of Music, Melvin David Miller, Minister of Christian Education, Donald R. Blue would serve as the Minister of Prayer and Praise and Worship, May Murray Leflore as the Church Secretary and Financial Clerk, Jerome Green, Matilda Green and Betty McNeil. These persons would serve as the governoring board of the Church until such time that others were appointed to serve as trustees and deacons of the church. The other members included: Barbara Blue, Ethel Cardine, Derrick and Debra Dace, Hazel Dotstry, Judy Smith, Sandra Gill and Kimberly Miller.
- On August 30, 1994 our membership was seventy-two. Our church has also submitted the papers to the State of Mississippi for Incorporation.
- In October of 1994 we purchase a building at 414 East End Street that was occupied by the First Assembly of God Church of Cleveland, Mississippi. The congregation grew from 67 to 140 in the first 2 years.
- In 1996, we began our outreach services to the community. The second property we purchased at 412 East End Street became the location for the
- Exodus Center of Life. Under this umbrella, several programs were developed. At this present time we have functioning these programs: New Life Counseling Center, The Perfected Praise Childcare and Learning Facility were brought into operation in August of 1997. Sister Mary Mitchell serves as the Administrator/ Director. We had 17 people employed. Our capacity is 75 Children.
- In August of 1998, we birthed the Exodus School of the Bible, which is a Bachelor's level, accredited, and accelerated pace Bible School. Our structure is of such where we met the 2nd Saturday in every month. The fall semester is from August to December and the spring semester is from January to May. We have successfully graduated 4 classes since our inception. The total number of students graduated was 67. In the fall of 2001, we added Master's level courses to our curriculum. In June of 2003, we graduated our first Master's level class. We have and have had instructors from Mississippi, Arkansas and Texas. Also, we've had special instructors from Alabama and Delaware. The number of our staff is nine (9).
In regards to transportation, we have purchased two vans, a 12 passenger and a 15 passenger.
The New Life Church has partnered with several community organizations to create a better city for families to live in. Our congregation has grown physically, spiritually, and financially over the past 15 years
Our membership has grown to 400 plus. Our Worship services are as scheduled: Sunday morning – 10:00 a.m., Sunday evening at 6:00 p.m., Tuesday evening (Bible Class) at 7:00 p.m. and Saturday Morning Hour of Power (Prayer) at 7:00 a.m.
- The ministries with the church are: B.O.W (Brothers of Wisdom), W.O.W. (Women of Worship), Children's Church, Youth Ministry, Media Ministry, Ushers and Greeters, Music Ministry, Intercessory Prayer Ministry, Custodial and Maintenance Ministry and Parking Attendants Ministry, New Life Counseling Center, Preparing Our Sons for Manhood: Salvaging the Seed, G.E.D. and Adult Literacy, Teenage Pregnancy, Job Skills, Mississippi Women's Economic and Entrepreneurial Project, Faith and Family, MASH - Batterers Program, Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, Court Advocacy, After School Program- It's Moses Time. We also have 22 licensed ministers in our church.
The New Life Church purchased 15 acres of commercial land on Highway 61 North in Renova, Mississippi for the building of our new church sanctuary and ministry facility. We also have 10 acres of residential land where homes are being built for the membership. The area has been named the New Life Church Addition located in the city of Renova, Mississippi.